Historic Preservation Commission
Our Heritage. Our Future. The Waxhaw Historic Preservation Commission serves to protect, preserve and sustain its historic buildings, landmarks and unique character. The Commission will be an advocate for Waxhaw’s heritage by identifying historical structures, recommending historical designations, reviewing design changes and assisting with preservation planning. In addition, the Commission will promote the appreciation of historic preservation and serve as an educational resource to enable the community to reap the benefits of preservation for future generations.
- Designate local historic landmarks
- Restore and preserve historic properties including acquisition by legal means
- Conduct educational programs about historic properties
- Consider Certificates of Appropriateness (required for any change or repair to an exterior feature of a historic landmark)
- Consider Façade Improvement Grants. The Town of Waxhaw recognizes that our historic downtown is one of our most precious assets. The façade improvement program was created to preserve our downtown’s unique historic character by providing 50% of the actual costs of exterior rehabilitation (including repainting & repair) with an approved façade improvement grant application.
- Prepare and update the Waxhaw Historic Landmark Guidelines that regulate maintenance and repair of local landmarks and serve as a guide for work done with Façade Improvement Grants
- Collect oral histories on interesting stories about historic Waxhaw and it’s people
The Waxhaw Historic Preservation Commission or “HPC” is a board made up of seven (7) people that live in the Waxhaw town limits. Appointments to the committee are made by the Board of Commissioners to ensure the majority of members have demonstrated special interest, experience or education in history, architecture, archaeology or related fields. HPC members serve staggered terms of three (3) years.
The regularly scheduled HPC meeting is held at 6:30PM on the second Thursday of every month at the Waxhaw Town Hall located at 1150 N. Broome Street in Waxhaw. The HPC also has field trips to different trainings offered at different locations in the state, and to historic museums and places.
View the Boards and Commissions Volunteer Information page and complete the online application. Applications will be automatically forwarded to the Clerk's office and presented to the OAB for review.
Historic Preservation Commission Members
HPC Rules of Procedure
Code of Ethics
Board & Committee Rules