New Construction Inspection & Fire Plans Review
Fire Plans Review
The Fire Marshal’s Office reviews all preliminary and construction development drawings that are submitted through the Town of Waxhaw review and shop drawing process. Drawings way for our customers to move forward with their projects we have developed an electronic shop drawing plan review process. Shop drawing submittals may be submitted via www.dropbox.com, or other file hosting service. Please see the Town of Waxhaw User Fee Schedule for applicable submittal fees.
Shop Drawing Submittal Process
Plans must be submitted in electronic format delivered to the Town Hall at 1150 N. Broome Street, Waxhaw, NC 28173. Or other file hosting service.
- Shop drawings shall be submitted after the building permit issuance. Installation shall not take place until plans are reviewed and approved.
- Plans will be reviewed within 5 business days from the date the Fire Code Official receives them. The Fire Code Official will notify the submitter when the review has been completed
*For simply replacing existing devices “like for like” with either no or not more than 5 or more additional devices, shop drawing submittal will not be required.
New Construction Inspections
In addition to fire protection systems acceptance testing before the certificate of occupancy is obtained a fire inspection will be performed, this inspection will include but will not be limited to the following items:
- Verify building address size and location.
- 6” minimum letters/numbers
- Address characters shall be visible from street or road fronting the property and, if required, on all fire department approaches.
- Verify proper location of Knox Box
- Knox boxes shall be installed approximately sixty inches above finish grade.
- Keys to all doors and padlocks shall be placed inside Knox Box at final inspection.
- Verify the placement of fire extinguishers
- Verify correct type
- Proper location. Fire extinguishers shall be installed for a maximum travel distance of 50 feet.
- All fire extinguishers shall be installed a maximum of five feet to the top of the fire extinguisher above finish floor or grade and shall be unobstructed from access or view.
- Provide signage as required.
- Verify building door signage.
- Provide the letters “FACP” on all unobvious doors that give access to the fire alarm control panel. This can be accomplished with self-adhesive letters, stencil, or a sign with minimum three-inch high letters in contrast to the door colors.
- Provide the letters “RISER ROOM” on all doors that give access to the riser. This can be accomplished with self-adhesive letters, stencil, or a sign with minimum three-inch high letters in contrast to the door colors.
- Provide on the suite front doors the “SUITE NUMBER OR LETTER”. This can be accomplished with self-adhesive characters, stencil, or a sign with minimum 6-inch high characters in contrast to the door colors.
- Provide on the suite rear or side doors the “SUITE NUMBER OR LETTER” and “BUILDING ADDRESS NUMBERS”. This can be accomplished with self-adhesive characters, stencil, or a sign with minimum 6-inch high characters in contrast to the door colors.
- Verify fire lanes are appropriately marked.
- Where designated, fire lanes shall not be less than 20 feet wide at any point, and curves and comers shall be wide enough to permit the passage or operation of all fire equipment. The surface of the fire lanes shall be an all-weather surface and shall be of sufficient strength to support all firefighting apparatus used by the fire department 75,000 pounds.
- All fire lanes and access roads must be maintained by the property owner, which includes painting pavement and placing permanent “NO PARKING FIRE LANE” signs.
- Outlining or painting the fire lane on the roadway surfaces shall be done in red with white letters that read "NO PARKING FIRE LANE" at 50-foot intervals or as otherwise directed.
- Fire lanes shall be marked with permanent "NO PARKING FIRE LANE" signs.
- Signs shall be placed along the fire lane at intervals not to exceed 200 feet.
- Signs shall measure 12 by 18 inches; have red letters on a white reflective background.
- Signs must be metal construction only; plastic or wooden signs are not acceptable.
- The bottom of the sign should be 7 feet from grade.
- The post should be at least 18” from the curb but not more than 24” from the curb.
- Any NO PARKING – FIRE LANE sign posted without proper approval must be removed.
If the building passes final fire inspection the Town Of Waxhaw Building Inspections Division will be notified by the Fire Marshal’s Office that a Certificate of Occupancy can be issued. The Town of Waxhaw does not issue any type of temporary certificate of occupancy.