The Duncan McDonald house, which is at 115 McDonald Street, dates back to 1888. The house belonged to Duncan McDonald, one of the town’s first merchants and the town’s first postmaster. Duncan McDonald lived from 1845-1921. He was the town’s first businessman and arrived in the town by train on April 15, 1888 and built his general store on what later became West North Main Street. That building no longer exists but his home at 115 McDonald Street is one of the oldest in Waxhaw. At one time the town’s early switchboard was operated from the house. Restoration of the house was completed by the Town of Waxhaw in 2016. The facility is available for limited reservations.